The Nigerian Copyright e-Registration System (NCeRS) offers a platform for creators of copyright works or persons who have acquired rights in these works to register the work online with the Nigerian Copyright Commission.
Although copyright in a work exists automatically when an original work is created, subsequent registration of the work under the NCeRS is evidence that your creation is protected by copyright; and facilitates recording and proof of the possible date of creation of the work and other facts stated in the application form. A copy of the work and facts relating to the creation and ownership of the work, disclosed in the application will form part of the database of the Nigerian Copyright Commission mandated to be kept under the Copyright Act, Cap C28, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.
The Copyright registration desk will continue to receive and process applications for copyright registration not submitted through the NCeRS online platform, at all Offices of the Commission nationwide.
The certificate of registration and other documents relating to the application for registration can be used in court as evidence of ownership or proof of original content of the work.
The NCeRS offers additional advantage of:
- Documentation of your creation from any part of the world;
- Full protection of copyright in all countries signatory to the Berne Convention, and other International Instruments which Nigeria is signatory;
- Searchability of the NCeRS for information relating to any copyright work;
- Flexible payment for services offered by the Commission;
- Efficiency and prompt delivery for service requested.